Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pina Colada Cake

I hope you all had a great Easter! This will be my last Easter-ish post for the year, even though it's a little late as it is :)



Today I am going to share with you the cake I made for our Easter dessert. I was in charge of dessert this year, and after a lot of searching, I finally decided to make a pina colada cake that was featured in the January/ February 2013 Food Network magazine. The cake itself is actually more of a summer dessert, but I decorated it with orange and yellow peeps and spring-colored confetti sprinkles.

First of all, I just want to let you know that this recipe is completely based off the Food Network recipe that you can find here. All I did was twist it up a little bit.


Ingredients:
- 1 box of Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- toasted coconut flakes for garnishing

For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cream of coconut

Directions:
1. Bake the vanilla cake mix in two separate 8-inch wide circular pans.
2. Once the cakes are cooled, poke holes into each cake with a toothpick. Brush a generous amount of the pineapple juice over each cake.
3. For the frosting, beat the butter and salt together until fluffy and smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar slowly until everything is completely combined. Add the cream of coconut, and beat until the frosting is thick.
4. Toast the coconut over the stove on low heat in a dry skillet until lightly brown.
5. Finally, spread a layer of frosting over the top of the first cake. Place the second cake on top. Then, completely cover the outside of the cake with frosting. Garnish the finished cake with toasted coconut and any sprinkles of your choice.


Voila! A delicious pina colada cake. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment